Cucumbers are distinguished not only by ripening or external qualities, but also by purpose. For salting, salads, there are certain varieties. The correct choice of the type of green leaves allows you to make high-quality preservation for the winter. This article presents the best varieties of cucumbers for salting and canning.
The quality of pickling cucumbers
Before proceeding directly to the consideration of the best varieties, you need to understand the differences between pickling greens.
The quality of pickling cucumbers
- For salting taken varieties with a dark green skin.
- Fruit sizes should be small so that it is convenient to process them.
- Ideally, the spikes should be black, because it is they who let the brine flow well, allowing the pulp to soak in them.
- The peel should be dense, but not bitter.
Varieties of pickles for picklingRead also these articles.
- Begonia flower
- What is a nucleus for bees
- The best sweet tomato varieties
- Zucchini variety Aral F1
For a long time, cucumbers were pickled in large, wooden barrels to get a delicious snack. But in order for the salted fruits to have a pleasant aroma and crunch when biting, you need to choose only certain varieties and hybrids for such processing.
Varieties of pickles for pickling
- "Barrel pickling F1" - high-yielding hybrid kornishonny type for cultivation under the open sky or in hotbeds. The ripening period is 41-45 days. Needs pollination by bees. There is immunity to certain diseases. Gherkins up to 11 cm, 80-95 g, green with whitish stripes. Hills are well expressed. When biting, a crunch is heard, the flesh is sweetish. This type is suitable for salting and twisting in banks.
- "Far Eastern" - A variety of medium early ripening period (45-55 days), needs to be pollinated by bees. Recommended for planting in open field only. Developed immunity to downy mildew. Fruits grow up to 13 cm, weighing 125 g on average, green with light stripes, there are large tubercles on the peel. The pulp has a pleasant aroma, taste sweetish, without bitterness.
- "Pickle F1" - a fruitful look for winter preparations. The ripening period is 58-60 days. Planted exclusively in open ground. For fruiting needs in pollination by bees. Immunity to simple and downy mildew is developed. Greens up to 13 cm, up to 115 g, grassy color with light stripes and mounds on the skin. The taste is good, without bitterness.
- "Paris gherkin" - a type of cucumber pollinated by bees in the mid-term (35-40). There is resistance to cladosporia, spotting, powdery mildew, mosaic. Zelentsy grow weighing 50-120 g and a length of 11 cm. The skin is dark green with large knolls. Pulp and rind without bitterness. Harvest can also be used for twisting, and not just for salting.
The best varieties of cucumbers for canning
In the banks you can preserve cucumbers according to the most diverse recipes. But not every variety is suitable for this. Only certain types of Zelentsovo can be fully marinated in a jar, maintain a pleasant taste and acquire a characteristic crunch.
The best varieties of cucumbers for canning
- "Zozulya F1" - A hybrid for spinning in cans or pickling in barrels. The crop ripens in 35-40 days. Sowing seeds or planting seedlings is carried out in open ground. Differs in high productivity, needs pollination, but it is considered partially self-fertile. Vegetable grows elongated, up to 22 cm, weighing 150-300 g. The peel is saturated green color, mounds of medium size. The flesh is excellent.
- "Phoenix" - a fruitful look for the unprotected and protected soil. The culture matures late, in 52-65 days. There is resistance to powdery mildew. Zelentsy 12-16 cm long, on 155-190 g. Skin of a green color with big hillocks. Bitterness is not.
- "Hector F1" - early hybrid. Ripens in 30-35 days. Grows a small bush, ovary beam type. It does not suffer from the main diseases inherent in this plant, thickened planting is possible. Fruits up to 10 cm in length, about 110 g. The skin is green with large tubercles. The flesh is crispy, juicy.
- "Zyatek F1" - hybrid of early maturity (40 days). It can be grown in greenhouses or in the open. The taste is good. Pollination is not required. Zelentsy up to 14 cm in length, with an abundance of tubercles on the green skin. Harvest this hybrid need more pickles, gherkins. You can use differently - salting, twist.
Self-pollinated cucumber varietiesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Caramel raspberry variety
- Breed Barbezie
- Geese linda
- What to feed the chickens
The best varieties of cucumbers for pickling, according to many gardeners, should be self-pollinating, because in greenhouses, for example, it is difficult to pollinate plants. Such cultures are also called parthenocarpic.
Self-pollinated cucumber varieties
- "Funny F1 guys" - variety with abundant fruiting, early aging period (45 days). There is immunity to many diseases. Vegetable grows 7-10 cm, 90 g, bright green color with thin stripes on the skin and pronounced mounds. The flesh is crispy. Harvest for any type of processing.
- "Herman F1" - a version for salting and winter harvesting. It can be cultivated simply in the open air or in hotbeds. Gives abundant, regular yields. Early ripening. Developed immunity to many diseases. Zelenets grows up to 8-10 cm, 70-100 g each, grassy color with large tubercles. The flesh is not bitter, rather tender.
- "Courage F1" - Parthenocarpic species for unprotected soil. Aging period 35-45 days. The yield is abundant, there is protection from many diseases typical of the culture. Cucumber grows by 13-16 cm, weighing 120-140 g. Grassy skin with an abundance of small tubercles. The flesh is pleasant, without bitterness, a crunch is heard when biting.
- "Crisp" - mid-season appearance (55-65 days) for a twist in the banks. Maybe by any method. It does not suffer from such illnesses as anthracnose, olive spotting, borage mosaic virus, bacteriosis, real and false powdery mildew. Zelentsy to 15 cm, on 100-120 g. Skin of a green color with big hillocks. Bitterness is not.
Universal varieties are suitable not only for canning or salting, but also for preparing summer salads and fresh snacks.
- "Kid" ripens in 35-40 days. Fruits up to 10 cm on average, in the form of a cylinder. The skin is green with an abundance of large tubercles. Pulp with an abundance of juice, dense, crunches, without bitterness, no voids. Fruit weight 60-80 g.
- "Spring F1" - a fruitful species that needs pollination by bees. The ripening period is mid-early - 50-60 days. Suitable for cultivation in the open air or in hotbeds. It does not suffer from powdery mildew, brown spot, ascochitosis. The vegetable grows up to 10 cm, weighing 95 g. The grass is of grassy color with light stripes and small tubercles. Bitterness is not. Harvest can be salted, harvesting for the winter or used fresh.
- "Kustovoy" - determinant, precocious variety. Needs pollination. Productivity is low, but regular. Zelentsy ripen amicably, they are 10-12 cm long, weighing 100 g. The rind is dark green, with tubercles. The flesh is juicy, not bitter. The plant almost never has diseases typical for cucumbers.
- "Competitor" - bee-pollinated species. Suitable for cultivation in the open air and in greenhouses. The ripening period is 45-50 days. Productivity is high. Zelentsy with large knolls, up to 14 cm and weighing 130 g. There is resistance to many diseases.
Reviews of cucumber varieties for pickling
The best varieties of cucumbers for canning and pickling are used exclusively for the intended purpose. When fresh, they are not as tasty and juicy as lettuce types. Reviews gardeners about some pickling varieties can be read below.
- Diana Lapina: "Far Eastern variety cucumbers are grown every year. They produce an early crop, sprout well and are drought tolerant. After salting, they get a pleasant crunch and a strong, salty flavor. The taste is unsurpassed. But it is advisable to select only small fruits for salting, they pickle better"
- Nikita Sobolev: "Crunchy variety for my family is the most beloved of all types of cucumbers. Seeds germinate quickly, together. Salting preserves density, taste only partially changes, there is a pleasant crunch. That's just the average yield and this is a significant drawback for me."
- Alisa Drozdova: “I love the Paris gherkin for small sizes of fruits and relatively simple cultivation. It begins to bloom from 3 leaves and into the first autumn frosts. The ovaries are usually numerous and the taste of fruits is excellent. In preservation and salting, it acquires a truly perfect taste. However, greens grow very quickly - need to shoot them in time. "
- Bogdan Tretyakov: “Phoenix cucumbers last year tried for the first time to grow on their own plot. Seeds bought in a specialty store, as it should be, but the germination rate was bad - no more than 50%. The cucumbers themselves liked the taste and appearance. I tried to preserve and pickle, the taste is excellent! "