The bedding with bacteria is a well-known material that has been used in America and Europe for more than a year. It simplifies the care of agricultural animals, facilitates cleaning the room and has a lot of other positive qualities. Bedding for pigs with bacteria (deep litter) has many advantages compared to straw content or the like. This material, its features, cleaning and other nuances will be discussed below in the article.
What is a litter of bacteria?
The litter with bacteria (it is also a deep or fermentation litter) is, in fact, a simple flooring made of straw, shavings or sawdust in which certain biological preparations (bacteria) are placed. These same bacteria break down the waste products of the animal, process the feces and urine, due to which the pigsty looks clean, well-groomed, it does not have an unpleasant smell, ammonia secretions (which exist if the animals are not cleaned).
The peculiarity of litter for pigs with bacteria is not only in the splitting of dirt
The peculiarity of the litter for pigs with bacteria is not only in the splitting of dirt and waste, but also in the fact that in the process of its "work" the bacteria emit a lot of heat. Pigsty with a litter of bacteria can not be heated in winter. The temperature inside can reach up to +30 degrees (depending on the type of bacteria used and their quantity), and in the lower layers of the litter, the temperature rarely drops below +40 degrees Celsius.
For pig health, deep litter is absolutely safe, it does not harm them.
Important! The process of splitting feces and other waste occurs in the lower layer, on top of it will always be clean and dry. True, the only thing that is important to trace is the presence of ventilation.
Due to the heat generated in the room, the humidity may increase, and ventilation will interfere with this. But drafts should not be!
Benefits of using bacteria litterRead also these articles.
- How to milk a goat
- Varieties of cucumbers gherkins
- How to treat currants from pests and diseases?
- What are the cells for quail and how to make it yourself
Replacing the flooring is held every 3-12 months.
The litter for pigs with bacteria has many advantages that distinguish it favorably from other similar options.
- Ease of use. Using a deep litter is not difficult. Even with the first use of problems and difficulties should not arise.
- Due to the high temperature inside the litter, rodents rarely settle in such rooms.
- It is possible to use a similar litter for a large room, where there are many animals, and for a small pigsty, where 3-5 pigs are located.
- The smell in the room is normal, ammonia will not stand out.
- Pigs feel great, they are always dry and warm, and this has a positive effect on their productive qualities and health.
- Replacing the flooring takes place every 3-12 months, and sometimes every few years - it all depends on the thickness of the layer and the type of bacteria.
- Used flooring, which is cleaned and replaced with a new one, is a quality organic fertilizer.
- Economic, physical benefits.
How to lay a litter?
First of all, sawdust laid out
Laying deep bedding takes place in several stages.
- Before you use the fermentation litter, you must thoroughly prepare the room. It is removed, all the old litter litter - the floor must be clean, dry. Pigsty is desirable to whiten, disinfect.
- First of all, sawdust is laid out, hay is about 20 cm thick. This is the basis of a deep cushion, without which nothing will work. If there is no sawdust or hay, you can replace them with a similar raw material (small chips or straw).
- Now a jar with bacteria is taken (they are usually sold in jars of various sizes). Bacteria need to scatter on top of the organized litter. But it is worth ensuring that the pigsty was at least + 5 ... +10 degrees Celsius.
- Bacteria are poured in accordance with the instructions (the amount required otherwise is usually indicated on the package). Then pour water. Water does not need much. This is done to wake up the bacteria that are in the can in hibernation. As moisture is moistened, the litter is tedded so that the bacteria are not on the surface, but in all layers.
How to contain litter with bacteria?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Planting apricot
- Variety Pears Just Maria
- Feeding goats after lambing
- Recipes adjika of plums
Caring for bedding for pigs with bacteria is not difficult
Caring for bedding for pigs with bacteria is not difficult. The only thing that needs to be done is to come to the pigsty from time to time and to stir it up with simple forks. This is done so that a lot of hot air does not accumulate in the lower layer, so that the bacteria are always active, and the lower layer does not rot, if the humidity is high.
When the litter fails, it must be changed, but how to determine it?
Important! Bad litter has a dark, almost black color, water is almost not absorbed, manure does not decompose, there is an unpleasant odor from the life of pigs, which was previously absorbed by bacteria. Even the temperature becomes low, like the environment.
Replacement occurs as follows. Old litter is completely removed from the pigsty. It can be used as an organic fertilizer. The pigsty is ventilated, and when the floor is dry, sawdust is poured on it and on top of the bacteria, just like the first time.
Is there any benefit from fermentation litter?
The benefits of litter for pigs with bacteria are colossal! Breeders who have already tested it in their pigsty give only positive feedback, and this is not surprising. On the economic side, the breeder saves money considerably, because it can be changed every 3-6 months, and if the layer is impressive (up to a meter), then once every 1-3 years! In addition, heating the room is not required even in winter, and this is a significant savings!
Deep litter also saves the breeder’s strength and time, since caring for her is not difficult.
Deep litter also saves the breeder’s strength and time, since caring for her is not difficult. It only needs to be agitated from time to time, and it takes less time than to completely replace the simple litter or its thorough cleaning. Pigs living in such a room will feel completely comfortable - warm, cozy, clean. This is exactly what contributes to their normal functioning. So the litter for pigs with bacteria is beneficial and convenient in use not only for the breeder, but also for living creatures.