Growing peaches is a profitable business. Gardener has the opportunity to feast on sweet and certainly useful fruits, without chemicals, as well as sell them. But in order for a tree to really benefit, you need to choose the right variety. The article will describe the early Kiev peach, it is winter-hardy, highly productive, resistant to leaf and sprout damage by leafthorn and powdery mildew.
Description varieties Kiev early
Peach variety Kiev early was bred in 1939 in Ukraine. Opens the annual peach season in Ukraine. It first ripens among all species that are grown on an industrial scale, and gardeners speak of it as an "early bird" among all the other varieties available for cultivation in the middle regions of the steppe and forest-steppe zones.
The tree is not very tall. The krone is a powerful, rather large, spherical shape. Fruiting is observed mainly on mixed shoots. Fruits are medium sized. The weight of each peach ranges from 90 to 105 grams. The form is rounded or slightly flattened, but not round, but rather oval - slightly elongated. The color is yellow, uniform with a red, striped blush on one side. The stone on one side is pointed; it separates from the pulp well only if the fruit over-rides.
The flesh is white with a green tint, tender. The juiciness is average; when biting, the juice does not flow along the hands, as is the case with the southern varieties, but the taste is considered to be high. In fruits, 9.4% of sugars, 0.9% of organic acids.
Photo peach Kiev early
Advantages and disadvantages of peachRead also these articles.
- What to feed the Vietnamese piglets
- How to prepare raspberries for winter
- Goats breed Lamancha
- California quail
What kind of varieties Kiev early advantages?
- Productivity - 35-50 kg of fruit from a tree annually.
- Skoroplodnost - the first fruiting is observed for 3-4 years after planting.
- Frost resistance.
- Good transportability. On the road, the peaches are not crumpled, but only on condition that they were picked on time. Overripe fruits are too soft.
- The tree rarely suffers from powdery mildew and asteriasis.
Now about the shortcomings. What will have to face gardeners who have decided to plant a peach Kiev early?
- The extensive crown of the tree requires annual pruning.
- When overspeeding, the taste of the fruit deteriorates.
- The stone is usually poorly separated from the pulp, which complicates the processing.
- Variety is subject to curl.
Our readers recommend articles.: The best winter-hardy peach varieties, how to deal with peach curliness, than to feed a peach in spring and autumn.
Where better to plant a peach early Kiev?
Before you look for a place to plant a peach, you need to buy it. These seedlings are worth buying only in specialized stores or garden farms, where sellers will be able to document the seedling variety. When buying a young tree, it should look healthy, without any damage.Important! All varieties of peaches have almost the same appearance of the tree. It will be very difficult for an inexperienced person to distinguish a variety. Therefore, in order for sure to buy the early Kiev peach, it is worth buying it in the checked places.
It is possible to plant a variety only on a spacious plot, where there is a lot of space, opportunities for the development of a tree. Shadow is not good, young seedlings need a lot of sunlight. It is also recommended to avoid swampy, lowland areas.
How to plant a peach?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Top dressing of winter wheat
- Incubator Blitz
- White radish
- Gooseberry Diseases
Since young peaches are more susceptible to freezing, the early Kiev peach variety should be planted in the spring, namely in April, until the bud breaks. But the pit for planting can be prepared in advance, back in September, so that during the winter it settles.
Before you start digging a hole, you need to clear the ground from the grass. The earth is being dug up. Then the upper part of the soil is mixed with fertilizer. Fertilizer is made from humus (15 kg), wood ash (450 g), superphosphate (200 g), potassium chloride (100 g). The pit is dug to a depth of 80 cm and a diameter of up to a meter. At the bottom you can lay drainage - broken brick, gravel. Drainage should be no more than 10 cm.
A peg is installed in the pit, for the garter, with a length of at least 1.5 meters. At the bottom of the pit, a mound is formed, set on top of the sapling and all its roots gently spread along the sides. After that, the tree can gradually fall asleep fertile land (the one that is mixed with fertilizer). After falling asleep, the ground is rammed, and the tree is tied to a peg in 2-3 places. It remains only to water the tree. On the seedling is about 2-3 buckets of water.
If the peach is not planted in the ground, but grafted onto a tree, different varieties of apricot should be used as a stock. It is on the apricot that the Kiev early peach takes root most quickly and gives later great harvests.Important! Peach Kiev early can grow without pollinators. But if you plant a couple of pollinators nearby (Velvety, Redhaven, May Flower), the yield will be 1.5-2 times higher.
What kind of care does a early Kiev peach require?
Timely and proper care makes the tree more resistant to the negative influence of the environment.
- In dry climates, it is enough to water once every ten days and pour 3 buckets of water under the tree. But if it rains often, it is worth reducing watering, otherwise the root system will start to rot.
- Pristvolny circle is recommended to loosen, remove weeds or just once every 1-3 months to cover with mulch.
- Pruning Kiev early peach is carried out annually. It is worth doing both shaping and sanitary pruning.
- When the fruit is formed on the tree, all the extra need to be removed. This is done to ease the burden of the tree. If the fruits are not rationed, they will either be small, or simply will not be able to ripen in time.
- Top dressings bring about once a year. The first two or three years after planting a tree, ammonium nitrate (75-80 g) is applied. Urea (50-60 g) can be used instead. The fertilizer is simply dissolved in water and watered around the stem. All subsequent years, the tree is fertilized in the fall (in September). 45-55 g of superphosphate mixed with 60-70 g of potassium chloride is added.
Photo of ripe peaches Kiev early
What can peach hurt?
Dog Kiev early need to be treated on time from pests. He has no immunity to most diseases and a number of dangerous pests. So that the tree does not hurt, gave regular big harvests, it is necessary to spray it every season against pests and diseases.
- Fruit rot affects fruit. They quickly deteriorate, rot. The tree is treated with "Topaz" (10g / 3.5 l of water) 3 times: before flowering, after flowering, after picking the fruit.
- Curly is expressed in the twist of leaves, slow development. Spraying is carried out twice in the spring every 20 days. Against the disease, use "Skor" or a 3% solution of Bordeaux liquid. The latter can only be used before bud break.
- Mealy dew appears on the variety very rarely. Manifested in the form of gray bloom. The tree is treated only after flowering - once per season. Good for the disease helps drug "Topaz" (15 ml / 10 l of water).
- Klesterosporiosis is expressed in the form of brown spots and is also rarely observed on this peach. Processing is carried out before the appearance of leaves, before and after flowering. Copper oxychloride (35 g / 10 l of water) is used. As a preventive measure, timely pruning is necessary.
In addition, the early Kiev variety can be attacked by such pests as aphid, mite, fruit moth, weevil-tsvetoed.
- For aphids, treatment of the near-wellbore region with Nitrafen solution (300 ml / 10 l of water) helps.
- A solution of colloidal sulfur (100 g / 10 l of water) helps to get rid of ticks, if the spring to treat them with wood.
- Karbofos helps from the fruit mile. To prepare the solution, 10 ml of the preparation and 10 liters of water are mixed, then used as directed.
- Metaphos is used for spraying upon detection of the flowering weevil. 10 ml take 10 liters of water. Alternatively, you can simply "powder" the tree with wood ash and whiten it in time.
Harvesting and marketing
Peach blossom Kiev early begins in May. The first fruits can be collected around July 15th. Ripe fruits are removed for fresh consumption, and those that need to be processed or sold should be collected during the period of technical ripeness. Peaches of this variety can be stored for 3-7 days in the refrigerator. But they must lie in a dry container and unwashed form.It is important! Collect and consume the Kiev early peaches are needed before they begin to over-sing. The fact is that due to the low juiciness, they become too fleshy, loose and dry. Yes, and their sweetness falls. Such fruits are suitable except for compote.
The fruits have a universal purpose. In the first place they, of course, are eaten fresh. In fresh peaches a lot of vitamin, mineral trace elements. This variety is also suitable for processing (compotes, jams, jam, baby puree). Fresh fruit can be sold on the market or for production for further processing. The only thing that is not recommended to use peach Kiev early - juice. Due to the low juiciness of the waste there will be too much, it is simply not profitable.
Do I need to cook early Kiev peach for winter?
The early Kiev peach is considered to be a frost-resistant variety, but it still needs some preparation for the cold.It is important! You need to prepare a tree for winter after it leaves most of its leaves.
- The soil is watered for the last time in a season around October or early November. You can use only warm water!
- Pristvolny circle mulch 10-12 cm. As mulch, you can use peat, humus, compost or something like that.
- The tree trunk is recommended to lime with clay. This will help scare away the pests, rodents and protect the tree.
- If the winters are very cold, the trunk is wrapped with agrofibre or any insulating material. For young trees, you can build a protective frame that will completely cover the tree. As a rule, such a frame is made of wooden poles and film or agrofibre.