Rokambol garlic is also called Egyptian onion or Spanish garlic, sometimes the fourth name is also found - Elephant garlic, which largely characterizes its size. This is a variety, not a hybrid, which appeared quite a long time ago, but has not lost its popularity during its existence. The article describes the quality characteristics of the variety, its features, the methodology of growing, maintaining and storing the crop.
Description variety Rocambol
Rokambol is a cultural form of a hair bow, which is why it has such gigantic dimensions. The plant is very powerful, seemingly terrestrial part resembles a mixture of garlic tops and leeks. Feathers are rather large, the leg on which they are attached is dense, thick. On the lower, underground part of the head are attached onion-kids. The height of garlic can reach 80-120 cm. The arrow starts up, but not with seeds, but with inflorescence.
Rokambol is a cultural form of a hair bow, which is why it has such gigantic dimensions.
The head is very large, when compared with other varieties - the diameter may exceed 10 cm! The average weight is 300-450 grams depending on the place of landing, but often the head weight can reach 600-650 grams. In the head there may be 2-6 full, large cloves weighing 50-70 grams each. The taste is semi-sharp, the aroma is not very sharp.
Distributed almost worldwide. It is very popular in Europe, in Southeast and Central Asia, America, Africa and even Australia!
What are the features of the variety?Read also these articles.
- How to grow strawberries in the greenhouse all year round
- What to feed the Vietnamese piglets
- Calorie melon and beneficial properties
- Geese linda
The Rokambol variety garlic in question has so many different features that distinguish it from other species.
- Single teeth, which are usually collected from the arrows, in this case matured underground. They appear on the roots, so that the arrow can be cut or not, it does not affect the development of the head and the plant itself. On the roots of each head matures on average 10-15 bulbs, which can be used for the next as a seed.
- The peculiarity of the variety is that it is possible not to wait 2 years to eat garlic, but to eat the onion seedlings grown to the size of chicken eggs of the first year of planting. Yes, this is not a head weighing half a kilo, but it doesn’t differ from it in taste.
- The weight of the head of such garlic is many times greater than that of any other variety. Moreover, even a single onion, obtained by planting children in the first year, is larger than a large head of simple garlic!
When planting an annual onion, you can get garlic weighing 400-600 grams!
- The weight of garlic is largely dependent on planting material. When planting teeth obtained from the head, get garlic weighing up to 250-300 grams. When planting an annual onion, you can get garlic weighing 400-600 grams!
As for the shortcomings, then there are only two significant points that it is important for every gardener to know.
- By its chemical composition, Rocambol is inferior to regular garlic and is more similar to leek.
- It is not difficult to make such garlic, but it can be very difficult to get rid of it. The fact is that the teeth ripening on the roots are not always drawn out with the head, they simply come off and remain in the ground. If they are not found immediately, then next year the whole plantation of culture may grow in the same place.
How to grow rocambol garlic?
Rokabbol garlic can be grown from children
Rokambol garlic can be grown from children (air bulb), which grow on the lower part of the plant or from the teeth of the head. However, in the first version, more preparatory work will be required.
For a start, garlic fry (kids) are collected from the roots. They are planted in the spring or before winter (as a rule, the variety germinates in any of the options). In one year, from a fry, a tooth the size of a hen's egg or more grows, which looks like an onion. And only if you plant it again the next year, half a kilogram of garlic, divided into separate cloves, grows from it.
It is important to note that two-year-old garlic, divided into teeth and one-year-old alone, can be consumed as food, the tooth obtained during the first planting. That is why most gardeners do not complicate their work and eat them immediately after the first year of cultivation.
Before planting cloves or brooches, they are soaked in a solution of potassium permanganate. Dental cloves and annual bulbs are always planted with husks, but it is important to clean the bullocks or at least make a crack in the husks; in this case, germination of 60% will increase to 90-95%.
When, where and how to plant garlic?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Application of copper sulfate
- How to grow watermelons in the suburbs
- Bee packages and their types
- Geranium Flower
It is possible to plant garlic varieties Rokambol spring or autumn, he is not picky in this regard, but it is important to note that when planting in the winter the head always turns out to be larger than when planted in spring.
It is necessary to plant garlic only on a sunny place, not swamped. The land should be fertilized in advance, usually done in 2-3 weeks. To do this, make compost or humus, ash.
Planting garlic rocambol
Teeth or root bulbs are pre-selected and soaked, as mentioned above, in potassium permanganate. Between the individual beds leave 20 cm of free space. The distance between the planting material in a row depends on its type:
- for bulbballs, a distance of 15 cm is observed;
- for teeth you need 20 cm of free space;
- for annual onions - 25 cm, since they are very large and give the largest head.
Deepening occurs at a depth of 5-6 cm. Plant the plant better in a checkerboard pattern to save space. After planting, planting material, it is sprinkled with earth at 4-5 cm and mulch another 5 cm.
What are the difficulties of care?
Rokambol garlic is very weighty, it is worth all the forces that are spent on it during planting and care, so you should not neglect any of the points described below.
- In cold regions, sowing garlic should be covered with foil or agrofibre to avoid freezing in cold in winter or spring.
- It is necessary to water the crop regularly, it loves water, so that every 2-3 days in the hot summer it is necessary to conduct abundant watering of the crops.
- Loosening the land and cleaning the weeds is carried out regularly after watering.
- If the leaves start to lose color, they drop - this means that the culture lacks nutrients. Podkorma conduct solutions chicken manure, mullein, sometimes use minerals.
Harvesting and storage
Rokabol garlic collected in September
Rokabol garlic is harvested in September. The lower leaflets should dry by this time, and the upper ones should turn yellow and freeze. After harvesting, the tops are not pruned, the garlic is tied up in bunches, suspended for drying, then the sticking dirt is removed and determined in a place for permanent storage. It is stored well - about ripe bulbs and heads can lie until February under the proper conditions, and then begin to germinate.
You can eat young leaves, as well as annual onions, biennial heads, divided into teeth. Eat them fresh, pickled, dried, salted. Can also be used for cooking all kinds of dishes.