In 1976, the first samples of the columnar apple were obtained. The species is a clone of a simple tree, but without side pagons. The leaves grow on large, thick branches just like the apples themselves. They literally stick around the branches from all sides. A columnar apple can be of different varieties differing in size, ripening and other characteristics.
What are the best fruit varieties?
Productivity when choosing a columnar apple plays a key role. Since there are not many branches on them, there are much fewer fruits than on an ordinary apple tree. But given that the tree takes up little space, then instead of one big one, you can plant 3-4 column-like plants. So, which columnar apple varieties have the highest yields?
The best fruit varieties of Apple Colonids
- "Amber Necklace"- one of the most productive late varieties. The first three years gives 5 kg of apples, in the fourth year it is possible to collect 10-12 kg, and from the 5th, the yield rises to 13-15 kg from one tree! Medium sized apples - 130- 150 g. It is resistant to frosts, some diseases, but it is recommended to process it well in advance at least with folk substances against diseases and pests.
- "Legend"A fruitful winter columnar variety, giving on average up to 12 kg of fruits. Apples large 150-200 g, ripen in early December. The color of fruits is red with rare white longitudinal stripes.
- "Arbat" for the year gives up to 12 kg of fruit. The apples are of medium size - 100-120 g. The tree itself grows small, so it is necessary to provide him with additional supports under the branches so that they do not break under the load. In principle, you can simply pluck the extra apples ahead of time, and start them on jam, compotes. The species has a late ripening period.
- "Barguzin" already in the second year of life, it gives 7 kg of apples from a tree, and from the 3rd one bears an average of 11 kg each. If you plant a plant in the wild, the yield will increase to 20 kg per season. Late summer variety, ripen in late August. The main feature and advantage is unpretentiousness, it takes root in different climatic zones. The apples are medium in size - 130-150 grams, red, crispy and very juicy.
The best fruit varieties of Apple Apple 1
- "The president" - tall tree up to 3 meters in height and yield of 10 kg per year. Distinguishes with winter hardiness at least variety and early. Fruits of 140-150 grams, green with yellow. Resistant to transplant.
- "Chervonets" - large-fruited variety of columnar apple, for the season you can collect 6-10 kg of apples (depending on the year) weighing 180-250 g. Resistant to frost, but after cold winters it produces fewer fruits. Not afraid of pests and diseases. The skin of the fruit is dense, bright red, shiny.
- "China Red" has a yield of up to 10 kg per season. The apples in the variety are very interesting, small, red, 20 grams or less, with high taste characteristics. It is consumed fresh, but more often used for the preparation of various dishes.
- "Mac" gives 8 kg of apples for the entire period of fruiting, individual fruits weigh in the range of 150-180 g. It is worth considering, if only because it is the first column-shaped variety. Disease and frost resistance is weak, but the fruit taste is excellent. The apples are sweet, juicy, red, there may be a yellowish flank. Most often grown for sale, as they have a good presentation of the product, even after a long transportation.
How to choose a variety of ripening?Read also these articles.
- Plant Broom
- Bee pollen
- Greenhouse film
- How to output goslings in an incubator
Depending on the ripening period, columnar apple trees can be early, mid-ripening and late.
Coloniform apple trees for ripening
- Early varieties bear fruit throughout the summer. There are very early varieties ("Dialogue"), ripening by the end of July, middle and late summer ("Iksha", "Grushivka Moskovskaya"), bearing fruit by the middle or end of August. These varieties are more often consumed fresh, but can be used for compotes, jams, jams. The only drawback of some species is the thin skin and loose flesh, which is why they poorly preserve their shape in conservation and deteriorate during transportation. Autumn and winter varieties have a more dense skin. Stored not long - until mid-autumn.
- Mid-season kolonovidnye varieties of apple fruit throughout the fall, have high taste, have a dense skin, medium or high transportability. Stored until January. These include: "Gin", "Ostankino", "Maljukha", "Triumph", "Moscow Necklace", "Titania".
- Late varieties ("Currency", "Bolero", "Victoria") ripen from mid-October to mid-December. Stored throughout the winter. Apples are usually juicy, sweet and sour, transportable.
It is important to note that, depending on the climate and care, an apple tree may start to bear fruit sooner or later. The same "Dialogue" in the southern latitudes yields a crop by mid-summer, and in the north it can ripen by early August. This applies to any variety, therefore the ripening time may differ slightly from one source to another.
What kind of columnar varieties are frost resistant?
The columnar apple is just beginning to win admirers among gardeners in different parts of the world. And in some cases, frost resistance plays a key role in the purchase of a variety. In countries with cold climates and long winters, plant resistance to frost is extremely important. What kind of kolonovidnyh apple trees can withstand severe frosts?
Frost-resistant varieties of columnar apple trees
- "Ranet Mazherova", sometimes called "Renet Mazherova" - a relatively new variety intended for northern regions with temperatures down to -45 degrees. Small apples (50 g), yellow. The tree grows up to 2 meters in height.
- "Vasyugan" can withstand temperatures down to -42 degrees, also has a high yield - 10 kg per season. An early variety - ripens in summer. Tree height up to 3 meters. Fruits in the first year of planting and over the next 17 years. Apples gives a weight of 150-200 grams, red, with a light side, juicy and sweet.
- Medoc - columnar apple variety, resistant to cold temperatures up to -40 degrees Celsius. Productivity - 7 kg per year. Apples are light, yellow-green with 100-250 g, most often processed. In compotes and jam does not lose its shape. And thanks to the juiciness of the fruit, it makes good apple juice.
Frosts up to -40 degrees are also tolerated by Iksha and President varieties, but it is important to note that the columnar apple trees suffer frost much worse than ordinary branchy trees. Therefore, even frost-resistant varieties are recommended for the winter to be insulated with any available insulating materials. If there is no possibility of warming, you can at least mulch the ground around the trunk and from time to time throw snow on the branches in order to protect them from severe frosts.We recommend reading our other articles.
- How to feed gooseberries?
- The best red varieties of apples with a description and photo
- Variety of zucchini Gribovsky 37
- How to store onions in the winter