Radishes are often grown due to its relative unpretentiousness, the possibility of sowing several times a year, pleasant taste. White radish is of several varieties and may differ from the usual red not only in color, but also in its cultivation method and taste. This culture will be discussed later in the article.
What are the varieties of white radish?
White radish is different varieties. Each of them is distinguished by its form, maturity, place of cultivation, as well as taste. So, what are the most common types of white radish?
White radish varieties
- "Glowworm" - mid-season variety of radish, fruit shape elongated (up to 8 cm) with a narrowed tip, white as peel and flesh. At the same time, the variety is very tasty, tender.
- "White Fang" grown exclusively in open field. Root crops of 3.5 cm and weighing within 25 grams. Long root sweetish taste, but with bitterness.
- "Alba" can be stored for very long. The grade is unpretentious, fruits to 25 grams, are similar to a red radish, but more oval. The flesh is juicy and sweet.
- "Icicle" grows in any soil. The garden radish ripens for a long time, but the quality of the crop is always high. Root crops are long, with a sharp tip of 15 cm. The flesh is crispy, sweet, not bitter.
- "White Virovsky" - habitual in shape, round radish, only white, not red. Always gives a good harvest. The flesh is sweetish, tender, not bitter. It is grown up in an open ground, mid-season.
- "Daikon" otherwise referred to as "Chinese radish", "white radish", "sweet radish". Divided into several varieties. The shape and size of the fruit depends on the subspecies. The maximum weight of the root - 5 kg. The flesh is sweetish, may slightly bitter, but only slightly. Used everywhere.
It is recommended to choose those varieties that are suitable for a particular climate, otherwise the culture will not take root. Some varieties of radish can be planted only in open ground, others are intended for greenhouses, and there are universal varieties. That is why it is recommended when selecting seeds to specify where they should be sown.
We picked up for you - the best varieties of radish for open field.
How to plant white radish in open ground?Read also these articles.
- Mini Gilt Mini Pig
- The best red varieties of apples with a description and photo
- Variety Garlic Gulliver
- Peony Varieties with Description and Photos
Preparation of seeds and seedlings of radish
The place for landing should be sunny, only a small shadow is permissible, preferably “walking”, and not constant. It is recommended to sow white radish to the place where cucumbers, tomatoes, potatoes and legumes grew.
Cultivated culture in early June. It is also possible at the beginning of May, if the climate is warm and there is no frost. The growing season of white radish is much less than red, so thanks to the early planting, it will be possible to sow the seeds later at about the beginning or end of July.
Soil for planting any chosen. With proper care, radish grows even in clay, but before planting it is necessary to enrich the earth with mineral and organic substances: manure, calcium, compost, urea, superphosphate, guano, biohumus, peat or something like that.
Sowing seeds and planting radish seedlings in open ground
Plant seeds to a depth of 2 cm, not more. It is not necessary to sow thickly. Some gardeners are reinsured, but later spend time on thinning the seeds, which usually sprout well. Therefore, you can sow in a row, in single file, but not frequent, but rare. Top of them sprinkled with a thin layer of earth.
How to care for the culture?
Caring for radishes depends on the planting site. So in the greenhouse the temperature, daylight, humidity level is regulated - everything is as always to bring the harvest date as close as possible. The rest of the care is the same as for radish in the open field.
- Watering is done in moderation. The problem of a root crop is that if there is a lot of moisture, it will crack, and if it is low, it will be hollow, bitter, hard, or will start to shoot arrows. So water is brought in as the soil dries.
Care and pests radish
- From time to time, it is necessary to inspect the crop for the presence of diseases and pests, and in case of what, immediately treat them with folk mixtures (chemicals can harm the crop). Most often, white radish is affected by cruciferous flea.
- Sometimes you need to remove the weeds while they are still small and loosen the soil. In order to root vegetables received more oxygen and solar heat.
Well-established hybrid varieties of Dutch radish, which ripen quickly and are resistant to disease.
When to harvest and how to store the crop?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Tomato variety Siberian triple
- Potato cultivar Gulliver
- The best varieties of garlic
- Tomatoes in their own juice for the winter
The crop is harvested after 2 months (late varieties), although it usually ripens in 28-35 days (early and middle late varieties of white radish). As for storage, everything is simple here - the harvest is washed, dried and hid in the refrigerator or in any other cool, dry place.