Grape propagation by grafting is one of the most popular methods. It is very difficult to get a good seedling or buy it, some varieties do not take root in a certain area, and they are often deceived in the market. As for the cuttings, they can be taken from any friend who has the desired culture variety. How to plant grapes by cuttings at home will be described in detail later in the article.
How to harvest cuttings?
In the open soil, germinated cuttings - chubuki are always planted. Therefore, before planting grapes, cuttings must be prepared. Harvesting is carried out from autumn or early spring, before the movement of juices in the vine.
Preparation of cuttings of grapes
- For cutting cuttings select the best vine with a thickness of 0.7-1 cm, with good intact buds. Cut them in length of 60-80 cm - no more.
- Chubuk should be straight, without curvature, if there is such an opportunity, but in extreme cases any will do.
- After cutting, the resulting material is immediately treated with a solution of 5% iron sulphate or potassium permanganate - which is at hand. Processing should last 30 minutes.
- In winter, chubuki stored in the refrigerator, cellar, it is possible in the pits in the area sprinkled with snow.
- From time to time it is recommended to check the material for safety, and in which case to adjust the storage conditions.
- In the spring they take out, inspect. In order to discard unsuitable material, they are incised - if the vine is green inside - you can plant.
- It is recommended to soak the tubers in a solution of honey (2 spoons per 2.5 liters of water). This mixture will allow them to wake up after a cold winter.
- Before planting the cuttings in the soil need to germinate at home. There are many different methods: in water, in sand, in the ground, under a bottle — they are all good in their own way. Need to choose any available.
When to plant grapes in open ground?Read also these articles.
- Characteristics and content of pigs Mangal breed
- Strawberry variety Asia
- Grade of Bazhen's grapes
- Variety melon Gulyabi
The scheme of planting grapes
The exact date of landing no one can say. This period, as a rule, will fall to the beginning of spring - before the beginning of the movement of juices in the vine of grapes. In this case, the survival will be fast, the development is rapid, and the harvest will be rich, even if not this year.
If planting is postponed indefinitely - May, June - it is important to provide the cuttings with fertile soil, plenty of dressings and other conditions for comfort.
How to plant grapes cuttings in a trench?
There are two common methods of planting cuttings of grapes: in the pits and ridges. The first will not allow the plant to freeze in the winter, saving water. The second allows you to warm the root system, and it develops better from this, the plant is also protected from an abundance of moisture, and weeds are very easy to clean. First you need to figure out how to plant grapes cuttings in the trench.
In trenches or holes, as they are called by the people, the plant is recommended to be planted, if the groundwater flows deep, and also during heavy frosts in winter, so that the plant does not die.
Trench landing method
Trenches harvested in the fall. It is best to dig them perpendicular to the direction - east-west. In this case, the plant will receive a maximum of light and heat. Trench dimensions: half a meter deep and half a meter wide. Fertilize them in the fall and spring. Only if this is done in the spring, then in no case should you take fresh manure - just rotted.
A special earthen mixture is prepared for planting grapes cuttings: humus, loam, sand - in equal shares. Before planting, a manganese solution is poured into the trench to disinfect the area. Plant sprouts need to be careful not to damage the young roots. It is important to put a peg nearby so that the cutting can rely on it at first.
If the earth is clay, the root should be deepened by 20 cm, if sandy - by 50 cm. After planting, the cutting is covered with ten centimeter layer of earth. It is recommended to make mulch of any kind over the ground. To get the plant settled down faster, the trenches are covered with a film. You can clean it after the warm weather.
How to plant grape cuttings in the ridge?We recommend reading our other articles.
- Radish Celeste F1
- Straw chopper (hay)
- How long do rabbits live?
- How to treat mastitis in cows
In the ridge is worth planting cuttings in snowy regions and where the groundwater level is not deep. The bed is dug up in the fall. Before planting grapes by cuttings at home, it is worth making a row. It is made in the spring, but its upper layer should consist of the same ground that is used for planting grapes in trenches (humus, loam, sand).
Planting grapes on the ridge
Ridges form up to 30 cm in height and 1 meter in width. It is recommended to back up individual sprouts in advance or during planting so as not to damage the root later. Cuttings are planted in the usual way - planting material is put in small pits, covered with earth, which is slightly tamped. In the winter, if there is no snow, the ridge is covered with cardboard to protect the roots from frost.
What do experts recommend?
- Planting material is taken exclusively from the crop that grows in the climate, which belongs to the gardener's plot. If you take foreign material, it will spend a lot of time settling down in a new climate and may die.
- Cut off in early spring Chubuki take root much better than autumn, so if there is an opportunity to carry out the procedure in the spring - this will be the best option.
- For cutting cuttings selected exceptionally healthy maternal material. If the grapes are sick or very old - the sense of such cuttings will not be enough. But it should not be a young vine. Ideally, when bent, it should produce a characteristic crunch.
- If several varieties of grapes are cut for winter storage, it is necessary to mark them or put them in separate bags, otherwise in spring there will probably be problems with species identification.